Mark down Dec. 7, 2008 on your calendar. In fact, circle the date several times with a magic marker. Why? It’s the date of the first-ever Mississippi Bowl.
Come feel the excitement as South Mississippi plays host to the state’s top community/junior college team as it goes up against another selected national team….that team could be yours.
Three fun-filled days of local entertainment, food, and football will welcome you and your families, friends, and special guests.
Why the Mississippi Bowl? The big question is…why not? Consider this:
- The Mississippi Bowl payout for each team will be $10,000, compared to the $7,500 per-team payout from other bowl organizations.
- The Mississippi Bowl is one of only six bowl games involving community/junior college teams in 2008.
- The Mississippi Bowl will be played in Biloxi…where the weather is warm, (even in December) and the hospitality is even warmer. Oh yea, we’ve got casinos, five-star golf courses, and world-renowned seafood.
If your team has a magical season in 2008, why not reward it with a special trip to a special destination? The Mississippi Bowl isn’t just a game…it’s an event. Several local businesses, including title sponsors Barry Harper and Dub Herring are committed to making the Mississippi Bowl the premier showcase for the best NJCAA teams in the nation. Here’s the tentative itinerary from Dec. 5-7:
Tentative Itinerary for December 5th, 6th, & 7th
Friday, December 5, 2008
- 2pm – 4pm
- Hotel Check-In (Greetings from MGCCC host, receive gift bag from JD hospitality, gift basket for Coaches)
- Welcome @ JD Cafeteria (Mayor Holloway, Presidents, Head Coaches, Player Intro.)
Players will receive MS Bowl commemorative gifts
- Dinner (Boiled Shrimp, Corn, & Potatoes…alternative menu available)
- Teams depart for the Mississippi Sea Wolves hockey game
- Sea Wolves game starts (Two Head Coaches drop the puck)
Teams are on their own after the hockey game.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
- Mississippi Team practices at Biloxi High Stadium
National Team does community service/educational activity – TBD
- Mississippi Team does community service/educational activity – TBD National Team practices at Biloxi High Stadium
Teams are on their own.
Sunday, December 7, 2008
- Hospitality/VIP Tent
Presidents (or their representative) of all 15 community colleges in the state, state legislators, local elected officials, officials from the two competing colleges, MGCCC Board of Trustees, MGCCC Bulldog Club Officers, etc.
- Pre-Game Activities Begin
- Coin Toss by Dub Herring & Barry Harper
- Mississippi Bowl Kick-Off
- Activities/Band Performances
Post-Game Awards/Post-Game Meal